At buddybuild, we believe that getting early and frequent feedback from users is a crucial ingredient to the success of any software project. Our mission is to remove the complexity of building, deploying and gathering feedback for developers building mobile apps.
Our users, like you, are developers! Thousands of them from around the world use buddybuild to build all types of apps - from personal projects to the brands / products that you know and love!
Just a heads up - we care *a lot* about the details. From pixel perfect user interfaces, to clear copy, to the deep thought involved in the hard choices that need to be made in producing software that people love, with elegance and simplicity.
Buddybuild’s investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta and Amplify Partners. We’re also fortunate to have a great group of Angel Investors and advisors!
This position is on-site in Gastown (very close to the Stadium Skytrain station) and candidates must be in or willing to relocate to Vancouver, Canada.
Thank you for taking the time to read our job posting - we hope to hear from you soon!
As a software engineering generalist, you’ll be primarily responsible for the back-end infrastructure that powers buddybuild. That said, we’re looking for developers who also have experience with front end technologies or possess a curious predisposition to jump in and learn!
Skills & Requirements
- You’ve been writing web applications professionally for 3+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on
- BA/BS or MA/MS in Computing Science or a related field… that said, if you have a proven track record, let’s talk!
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- You know how the web works. You know HTTP and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature
- You’re familiar with Mongo, Express, AngularJS, and Node
- You’re a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to users, designers other engineers is no problem for you
- Have experience with or are interested in understanding the process of building, compiling, and deploying iOS and Android apps to testers
- Previous experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment systems is a plus
As a predisposition... you are:
- Exceptionally clever: You’re able to distill complex problems and propose simple, elegant solutions.
- Driven to get things done: Anxious to design, build, and ship solutions on aggressive timelines.
- Able to play well with others: Be comfortable in collaborative work environments with solid communication skills. You’re a great presenter, but an even better listener. We all strive to be humble to actively solicit and incorporate feedback.
- Different: We want unique skill sets, methodologies, working styles, and ideas. Up-level an already strong and diverse team and inspire the broader team with your expertise. Look for opportunities to work outside your comfort zone and learn from others.
- An ambitious malcontent: We’re dissatisfied with the status-quo in the world around us. We want to be constantly aware of the potential for improvement with a keen desire to help technology play a more meaningful role in people’s lives.
What's In It for You?
- A competitive base salary
- Stock Options
- Medical and Dental benefits
- A very flexible vacation policy
- Your choice of Apple hardware to get you started
- A beautiful office in Gastown
- Learning - a lot of learning! We’re a small company where there’s no shortage of different projects to work on
- A PDF of your resume
- a link to your portfolio/github where we can see some of the work you’ve done
- 3 things (typos, new requirements... really anything!) you’d change about this job posting