At buddybuild, our mission is to remove the complexity of building, deploying and gathering feedback for development teams building mobile apps.
Our users, like you, are developers! Thousands of them from around the world use buddybuild to build all types of apps - from personal projects to the brands / products that you know and love!
Just a heads up - we care *a lot* about the details. From pixel perfect user interfaces, to clear copy, to the deep thought involved in the hard choices that need to be made in producing software that people love, with elegance and simplicity.
Buddybuild’s investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including KPCB, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta and Amplify Partners. We’re also fortunate to have a great group of Angel Investors and advisors!
This position is on-site in Gastown (very close to the Stadium Skytrain station) and candidates must be in or willing to relocate to Vancouver, Canada.
Thank you for taking the time to read our job posting - we hope to hear from you soon!
The Position & Responsibilities
As a DevOps Engineer, you will be responsible for the performance, availability and resilience of the buddybuild infrastructure. We’ve built the foundation to support a big business and engineering team that is doubling every six months. Your job is to keep the engine running. If you’re excited pushing limits and like tackling problems of unprecedented scale on a small, fast-moving team, you'll fit right in.
Skills & Requirements
- 5 years of industry experience in infrastructure engineering/DevOps/system administration
- Setting up and managing infrastructure in Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, ECS, IAM, ELB, CloudFront, VPC)
- Building and managing VMware/VSphere environments (VSAN, HA, DRS, VMotion) in private datacenters
- POSIX on Ubuntu/Debian Linux and MacOS X
- Ansible, Chef/Puppet deployment and configuration-management toolchains
- Linux containerization using Docker and container orchestration
- Deploying and administering MongoDB in a production environment (performance monitoring/tuning, disaster recovery/planning, sharding mechanics)
- Tuning performance and optimizing costs on AWS/vSphere and other cloud services
- Network administration - setting up VPNs, DHCP, DNS, routers
- Securing web applications and SaaS products from malicious attacks
Nice to haves:
- Experience with penetration testing tools for web applications
- You have experience with, or, are interested in understanding the process of building, compiling, and deploying iOS and Android apps
- Previous experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment systems is a plus
As a predisposition... you are:
- Exceptionally clever: You’re able to distill complex problems and propose simple, elegant solutions.
- Driven to get things done: Anxious to design, build, and ship solutions on aggressive timelines.
- Able to play well with others: Be comfortable in collaborative work environments with solid communication skills. You’re a great presenter, but an even better listener. We all strive to be humble to actively solicit and incorporate feedback.
- Different: We want unique skill sets, methodologies, working styles, and ideas. Up-level an already strong and diverse team and inspire the broader team with your expertise. Look for opportunities to work outside your comfort zone and learn from others.
- An ambitious malcontent: We’re dissatisfied with the status-quo in the world around us. We want to be constantly aware of the potential for improvement with a keen desire to help technology play a more meaningful role in people’s lives.
What's In It for You?
- A very competitive base salary
- Stock Options
- Medical and Dental benefits
- A flexible vacation policy
- Your choice of Apple hardware to get you started
- A beautiful office in Gastown
- Learning - a lot of learning! We’re a small company where there’s no shortage of different projects to work on
- A PDF of your resume
- a link to your portfolio/github where we can see some of the work you’ve done
- 3 things (typos, new requirements... really anything!) you’d change about this job posting